Saturday, July 21, 2012

EDLD 5366 Self Branding


The art of self branding dates back to the Ancient Chinese and then Japanese.  It may date further back but I am guessing not; since the Chinese invented block printing.  Chinese artists, poets, and writers would design stamps to sign their work.  Interestingly, as the piece left the creator's possession other people who had the piece in their possession would also add their stamp to it.   This was very common practice and often the bigger a person’s ego the bigger the stamp.  It was a status symbol to own these admired works and anyone who at any time owned any of these works wanted everyone else to know that at some point in time it was in their possession.  Therefore, the magnificent pieces of art and writing over time became emblazoned with many different stamps.  By our standard these additional markings are as much a part of the work of art as the original signature and add another layer of beauty and history the piece.
The Chinese and Japanese artists inspired me to design my own stamp, although I never did until now.  I might alter it more before I actually put it to use on my own art.  I also have wanted to have my students created their own logo/stamps to use as a signature.  Something I have been trying to incorporate into my classes since i took a seminar on East Asia in 2008.  Until now I wasn't able to come up with a good way to help students understand.  I plan to teach them the same way that this course taught me.  I think it will help them to understand the concept more easily.
Logo
Creating a logo to brand myself is a first for me.  I am not completely satisfied with this one but it has all of the components that I wanted.  I had to stop myself from drawing it by hand.  I really wanted to.  The image would have been so much nicer.  I forced myself to create it in Illustrator and learned how to distort text.  The tree is made from my first initial.  I used a few different fonts and distorted them by using "envelope distort" and then "make with warp and mesh" tools.  Then I had to copy and reflect the initials both horizontally and vertically and layered then until I got the tree shape that I wanted.  For a first attempt I am satisfied.  I don't know if this will be the version I hand in.  I will try again tomorrow and see what I can come up with that hopefully will be better. 
I thought about everything I had learned about creating logos with Illustrator and vector images.  I wanted a cleaner simpler look to the design.  While I still constructed the tree with the letters of my name, this time I used all of the letters and designed it in all black and by only using the warp tool and a single font style.  I also decided to look for free vector images for the bird.  I refined that search because regular clip art and photos don't allow me to remove the background.  I used to be able to do that with Corel Draw which came with a generous supply of clip art.  I knew how to easily alter any clip art with Corel.  I have not figured out how to do that with Illustrator.  I will continue to try to figure it out but for now I figured out that I can get free vector images on the web and save myself a little time.   If I did not find free vectors I was going to draw the bird in Illustrator with my tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment