
Nancy's Logo by Nancy Petrella is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
.
This is the logo I ended with. I like it the best so far. I think I have have achieved my goals and made my message as clear as I can without including a lot of text in the image. Along the way I came to realize more of what is important to me and what I strive for in my teaching and in myself.
I did use all 4 principles.
Alignment is not as obvious as the others, but I worked really hard to
create good relationships between the curved lines of the bird and the curved
lines of the tree. I wanted them to
mimic each other as best as I could possibly manage. Also, as I layered the Ns on top of, and next
to, each other it was important that they lined up appropriately or the tree
would not look like a tree. In the end,
I cropped it so that it was aligned nicely with the edges of the space/paper.
I ended up with a cleaner and better organized design. You can compare them on my wiki page. I took what I learned from the first one and
kept thinking about ways to make the design better. It occurred to me that I did not have to do
so much layering and I began by warping a forward and backward “N”. The design was much cleaner from the
start.
I wanted to simplify the color as well. Actually, I wanted a design that would work
as well in black and white as it would in color. I decided to work in black on white, using
simple lines of the font aligning each letter carefully as I put it in place to
create the tree. I like the high
contrast of the black and white. I also
contrasted the solid silhouette of the bird with the linear marks of the
tree. The really great thing about this
deign is that it is a completely vector image so I can add color in any way
that I want into the background when it might be necessary and the contrast of
black with color will still be very successful.
I also contrasted the fonts that I used.
I ended up using “AR Carter” for the tree which is a might nicer tree
like font than any of the others I used yesterday. I used “AR Hermann” for the two words that I
finally decided to use but also contrasting their sizes and tones.
There is a lot of repetition going on in the lines of the
tree, which also is contrasted with the open background. The little flecks of black are actually part
of the font, which is part of the reason I think it is a nice match for the tree,
also add some texture to the design.
I already mentioned the alignment of each letter in the
tree. I also played around with the
placement of the bird and the words so they would line up well with the tree
and each other. That is part of the
organization and use of proximity. The
organization is helped by the repeated use of “Y”s and “A”s which make up the busy
branches along with the large word at the top of the design. At the bottom I used only two “N”s and two “C”s
in a much calmer repetition along with the smaller word. The design is divided in two sections a bit
more than 1/3 at the top and a bit less than 2/3 at the bottom. The negative space at the bottom balances the
busy repetition of the top. From side to
side the design is relatively symmetrical.
This is the logo
I ended with. I like it the best so far. It might be the final version now that I added
the words “create” and “innovate”. I believe
I have achieved my goal and made my message as clear as I can without including
a lot of text in the image.
As
I previously stated, the tree with open branches represents the accepting,
open-minded, and knowledge driven part of my personality. I am always open to possibilities and don’t
make decisions based on hearsay. This is
actually a characteristic that will make me a good administrator.
The trunk represents
my steadfast and strong-willed nature. I do not give up when I believe in
something, or take on a task for any reason.
Once I put my mind to it I don’t give up. Failure is not an option for me.
The roots represent loyalty.
I am not a person who betrays confidences or takes commitment lightly. The
object the roots protect represents the passionate and caring aspect of my
personality. This fits with loyalty,
perfectionist, and strong-willed. I do
not take any job or task lightly, but I am passionate about my son’s well
being, my students and art. Some people
describe me as passionate and appreciate the fact that I put heart and soul
into my teaching, while others only think of me as huge pain because of those
same qualities.
The bird with outstretched wings represents the free-thinking,
creative, and imaginative part of who I am.
By now everyone knows I am an artist.
Art has been a lifelong passion.
What I did not say before and is somewhat subconscious
irony, is the prominent repetition of the letter “A”. You may have noticed, I am a total freak
about graduating this program with a 4.0 GPA.
This is symbolic of my almost obsessive quest for perfection. I have actually chilled a bit in my older
age. My GPA is also important because if
I am to sell myself as an administrator I have to show that I am still competitive,
viable candidate, and that youth does not have anything over me.
The word “create” makes perfect sense for me. Initially, I was going to use the word “think”
with it because I am always thinking and it has been difficult to get my mind
to rest for my whole life, which is different than free-thinking which I did
use and relates to create and innovate. But
I did not like the way it sounded with create, so I decided on “innovate”.
In using innovate, I don’t mean that I am an innovator. It is more a matter of striving for the best
and what is beyond the obvious. In this
way it suits me well because I have always been a person with many ideas and I
do consider myself an “ideas” person and a problem solver. I am a person who can develop alternative solutions,
because, in general, I see and interpret things differently than most people
do.
Now that I am thinking about it, it appears that I left out
some words that describe me. Even though
I did not include them in the list they seem to have been included in a roundabout
way.
No comments:
Post a Comment