I had
been searching for a graduate program that was not the same old online kinds of
programs that I was used to seeing, that I would teach me something valuable
and relevant. I had put off getting a
masters degree because I could not afford to quit my job in order to enroll in
a quality program. Most of the online
programs I came across were nothing more than ordinary and would only mean that
I was getting a masters for the sake of getting a masters and nothing more. I do not operate well under those
circumstances. I wanted something that I
could get excited about.
When I
came across the Educational Technology Leadership program, I was not sure what
to make of it. I had never heard of
Lamar University and I was skeptical. I
asked a few questions, in the district, and made sure that the degree would be recognized
in Delaware, at least for my pay increase and at most for job mobility.
I
contacted the university and started asking questions. After which, it was only a day or two and I
had my application submitted. Once my
mind was made up about the program, I became very enthusiastic about it and
could not wait to get started. I got my
application in just beating the deadline and it seemed like forever before my
first course actually began. I have high
expectations for the degree program and for myself.
But as
far EDLD 5311/5306 goes, I can't say that I had any real expectations for what
the outcomes of the course might be. That isn't the way I operate.
I always go into something with an open mind and wish to take away
anything and everything I can from the experience. I wanted to learn new
things and to think about things in new ways.
Besides that I wasn’t even sure what the course was about.
I had
been reading the wrong syllabus because of a snafu created by the course for my
desired program EDLD 5306 changing and merging with EDLD 5311, the introductory
course for another program. That coupled with the amount of time I had to
spend preparing for my first presentation in a national forum, I did not have
time to envision any outcomes.
Besides
prepping for my presentation, I was most
consumed by getting myself acclimated to being "in school" again and
becoming familiar with how the course worked. I knew that having only 5
weeks to complete the course and that would not leave any margin for error.
My
transition into the course would have been easier if I did not have to miss
three days during the first week. Having said that, I suppose my expectation
was that I would adjust, do everything well and get an "A". I
am a perfectionist by nature and I always set lofty goals and have high
expectations for myself. I simply cannot
accept anything but my best effort. In this circumstance, I certainly
wasn't sure things were going to turn out the way I wanted.
Now that
I have come to the end of the course, I am settled in and even more excited
about the prospect of moving on to the other courses in the program. What I have learned in 5311/5306 is not only
relevant but has added depth to my teaching and to my content area. I am revitalized. I actually found myself making references to
things I have learned here in my introductory statements to my students. We began a new marking period today.
I have learned about technology and its terminology in a broader context and at the same time in a concentrated, focused context. In some instances I came to understand that I knew more than I thought and used more technology than I thought but just did not have a grasp of the terminology before. In other instances I learned where I needed to improve, or could think about using everyday technology as devices for learning. When you are used to being in an environment that is so controlled by current administrators, it can take a lot of energy just staying in the game. It is difficult to think differently about tools that are constantly being maligned by the current propaganda. Therefore, I became rejuvenated by the articles that we read.
I especially liked the articles by Marc Prensky. He offered a refreshing view of using web 2.0 tools. I understand some of the reasons for being cautious but in the end my desire for open and interactive learning wins the battle in favor of gaining student trust over being fearful that my students will wish to present me in a less than favorable light, and I have had that happen. So move on and look for new ways of winning that battle and open the classroom up to better possibilities for learning.
I have learned about technology and its terminology in a broader context and at the same time in a concentrated, focused context. In some instances I came to understand that I knew more than I thought and used more technology than I thought but just did not have a grasp of the terminology before. In other instances I learned where I needed to improve, or could think about using everyday technology as devices for learning. When you are used to being in an environment that is so controlled by current administrators, it can take a lot of energy just staying in the game. It is difficult to think differently about tools that are constantly being maligned by the current propaganda. Therefore, I became rejuvenated by the articles that we read.
I especially liked the articles by Marc Prensky. He offered a refreshing view of using web 2.0 tools. I understand some of the reasons for being cautious but in the end my desire for open and interactive learning wins the battle in favor of gaining student trust over being fearful that my students will wish to present me in a less than favorable light, and I have had that happen. So move on and look for new ways of winning that battle and open the classroom up to better possibilities for learning.
I am certain
that I will continue to gradually incorporate more and more information from this class
and others as my learning and understanding of the subject matter continues. I am thinking more progressively about
technology than I ever have, especially because of the things I have learned
about web 2.0 tools. Sometimes I think I
was born too soon, because I won’t be hanging around in education long enough
to see the realization of what I envision the future of education to be now
that I am wiser.
In spite
of the obstacles I faced in the outset of this course I was able to achieve my
goals with a high level of success. At
this writing, I only have access to three weeks of grades. While I have fallen short of perfect, I am
handling it well and will still get an “A” in the course, unless I did
something dreadfully wrong in weeks four and five. I don’t think so.
To be
honest, I wasn’t sure that I still had it in me to be a good student. But as with everything I undertake, failure
is not an option. My doubts have now
been laid to rest. Now that I am
familiar with how the course and courseware works, and without the added pressure
of any previous commitments, I expect things move along more smoothly in the
future.
There
were so many things that could have kept me from meeting my goals but did not. Thankfully my brain is still in good working
order and I have found that 50 really is the new 40. I have learned that I am as stubborn as ever,
and that I am a better leader than some of the people who are in leadership
positions. My open-minded nature and ability
to accept people as they are enables me to lead without bias. My creativity and vision enable me to be
innovative with ideas and designs for the future of education. What I have learned in this course has opened
my mind further towards even greater possibilities in the future of education.
This course has proven that I was correct to wait for the right program to come
along. The experience has been far from
the same old thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment