Friday, August 16, 2013

EDLD 5398 DOMAIN III—ADMINISTRATIVE LEADERSHIP

Competency 008
The principal knows how to apply principles of effective leadership and management in relation to campus budgeting, personnel, resource utilization, financial management, and technology use.

I believe that I am strong in working with teachers and other stakeholders because I have the ability to care about their needs and ideas.  I am also good at assessing the needs of a campus.  I have had experience with that in previous jobs.

I am exceptionally strong in the use of an allocation of technology.  I am creative and I have very big ideas for the equitable distribution, and implementation of technology in all subjects.  I believe that all teachers should be well on their way to working towards open classrooms where students have access to and the ability to use technologies in ways that will enable them to attain their goals in the fulfillment of assignments.

My weakest area is anything that has to do with money.  I was better at budgeting when I was young.  I think I need to think more deeply about budgeting and be exposed to large scale budgeting issues that will help me to learn to be able to handle a fixed amount of money that needs to be allocated for many departments and issues within a school.  The good news is that I am open to working with stakeholders which will be a great benefit for me.

Competency 009
The principal knows how to apply principles of leadership and management to the campus physical plant and support systems to ensure a safe and effective learning environment.

Certainly the safety of students and personnel is an important issue and I think I would be good at that but overall competency 9 is a weakness.  I did not have the opportunity to get exposure to this aspect of principalship during my internship.

I have had very little exposure to the physical operation of the school.  The only time I got any insight into that was when I followed one of the custodians but that was only a sneak peak at that aspect of school operations.  This along with food services, health services, and transportation are all things that I barely got a glimpse of.

Overall, domain 3 is my weakest link with competency 9 being the absolute weakest area as a whole competency.  I really need more experience with these things.  Here in Delaware there are administrative internships within districts that would enable me to get that experience.  I believe I would have to do one of these internships before I become an assistant principal.  If not I would be able to learn these things as an assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment