Friday, August 16, 2013

EDLD 5398 DOMAIN II—INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP

Competency 004
The principal knows how to facilitate the design and implementation of curricula and
strategic plans that enhance teaching and learning; ensure alignment of curriculum,
instruction, resources, and assessment; and promote the use of varied assessments
to measure student performance.
With the exception of a district or school strategic plan this competency is a big time strength of mine.  I have written curriculum on the state, district, and school level.  I have worked on curriculum alignment at the district and state level.  I set up resources for many teachers to use on a website, which was something I did during my internship.
Also during my internship I worked on teacher assessments and student testing assessments.  In Delaware we worked to have varied assessments for all areas of teachi9ng and learning as well as assessments for support staff.
I am an architect by nature and I love curriculum design and implementation.  I could design curriculum every day and never be bored by it.  Again that comes back to the creativity and forward thinking of the arts.  Although I have to say that it is arts mixed with a bit of science because not all artists are that organized for curriculum development.  However, we do have that non-linear way of thinking that allows us to embark on journeys that others might not take.

Competency 005
The principal knows how to advocate, nurture, and sustain an instructional program
and a campus culture that are conducive to student learning and staff professional
growth.
I think I know something about this but was not given proper opportunities to try out some ideas.  I really think I have a solid understanding of technology integration because I focused on that in my research and in ideas for my own classroom but there is room for more growth.
I have been told that I am a good advocate and I believe that is true when I really believe in what I am advocating.  I am not good at it if the topic or issue is one that I have not done proper study in.  So In order to advocate and nurture I would have to use the skills that I have learned doing action research.  If I get myself properly informed then I feel like I can go ahead and do what is by student learning and professional growth.  It is not something that I can do without the initial study.  Unless of course it is something that I already know.
Campus culture is a greater strength because I am , by nature, open minded and I have worked with so many different people throughout my internship and career.  I understand differences in culture and I also understand what it takes for a positive school culture.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not wishy-washy, and I do not get steamrolled easily.  When it comes to making the tough decisions or bring people in to focus on what it necessary, I can do that easily and with respect to each individual culture or need.  I have actually had a lot of experience with that.

Competency 006
The principal knows how to implement a staff evaluation and development system to
improve the performance of all staff members, select and implement appropriate
models for supervision and staff development, and apply the legal requirements for
personnel management.
I’ve worked in management before.  I do know how evaluate personnel effectively and fairly from that experience.  I don’t think that any of my campus supervised internship items allowed me to explore this area.  I do know that the interview with Dr. Cannon was tremendously enlightening.
Because of that I feel I have some insight into evaluating teachers since I have absolutely no experience in that area.  My real life experience was in retail which has some different criteria in evaluating employees.  Because of Dr. Cannon and School Law, I feel I have somewhat of a handle on what needs to be done.  I also remember the three types of contracts and how they work.
Because of Dr. Cannon and Dr. Jenkins, I believe I can select appropriate models of leadership and supervision.  My campus let me down tremendously in this.
I worked on my research project which was designed to improve performance of staff members in relation to technology integration and that went over like a lead zeppelin.  I can’t say my internship experience has helped me at all in this area.

Competency 007
The principal knows how to apply organizational, decision-making, and problem solving skills to ensure an effective learning environment.
This would be something I need more work on.  I believe there are aspects that I am fine with like decision making and analyzing data.  We got good training in that regard through both course embedded and campus supervised.  But the course embedded tasks for analyzing data were very valuable experiences because this is something I have never done before.  Therefore, I cannot say that I am great at this but I have learned enough to be comfortable through research and analyzing AEIS data.
While I am naturally a problem solver, and I am a strong ideas person, this doesn’t mean that I will have the right problem solving technique all of the time.  But again I have learned enough through my research project, dealing with uncooperative administrators and through various courses and professors such as Dr. Jenkins and The interview with Dr. Cannon.  That was a tremendously valuable experience.
I used to be good at delegating responsibility but I do know that when other people do not follow through I have the tendency to pick up the slack and do the work myself.  This happened to me with a major project that I was in charge of.  However, I must say that all of the people on my team held positions higher than mine so it was difficult for me to continually but them about completing the tasks.  It would probably be different and like it was when I was in retail and the one in charge.
I think I am good with change process because I am good with ideas and developing and presenting a vision.  I am also good with the collaboration that is involved with change because I would want to know what other people think and how we can make everything fair and equitable for everyone and still make the school and students the top priority.



No comments:

Post a Comment