Sunday, September 16, 2012

EDLD 5364 Week Three Reflection

This week has been extremely intense for me.  I don't think I did anything in any order and felt quite out of sorts the whole time.  There was just so much to do and I was feeling very clueless on so many levels.  I finally have made sense of things now.

This is a very difficult reflection to write because my mind has been all over the place with so much to do this week.  However there is so much that I can really relate to in the learning this week.  I have been able to find things in this learning that I do really well as well as being able to find things that I know I can improve upon.

For instance, in chapter 6 of Teaching Every Student in the Digital Age, Rose and Meyer (2002) list four strategies that support recognition learning.  I know that I have been exceptional at providing examples as it has always been my mantra to say "If you can't provided a vast array of examples, then it is better to show none at all."  The purpose of examples is that students will understand key concepts in many contexts and that there are many ways to solve a problem.  To show only one example might give the impression that there is only one way to solve the problem therefore, it is better to show none and allow the imagination of the student to roam freely.  This something that I do very well.  Whereas, I can provide a variety of media in the traditional sense, but I do need to improve on the use of technological media.  I am making strides in this regard but I need better access in my classroom and better strategies for including technologies.

Chapter 6 (Rose and Meyer, 2002) was jam packed with information that forces teachers to reflect upon their practices.  Maybe that is some of the reason for feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Supporting strategic learning is something that I am getting better and better at as the years progress.  I suppose I should feel good that I am not one of the teachers who burn out after so many years of teaching.  As I become better in my own use of technology, I become better at using flexible models and multiple formats for supporting learning.  I have really great ideas that I want to implement and in some ways I really don't want to leave teaching for administration before I get to implement them.  However, if I can spread the word to other teachers then maybe the impact will be greater.

With the key components that support the three UDL networks, I am beginning to think that my idea of providing our fictional teacher with and at a glance booklet or brochure that can be used as a reminder is a pretty good idea until she has reached the point of internalizing the information.  I'm thinking I might make one for myself.

As stressed as I have been this week the information has been really valuable.  I am glad that this week is over so that I can take the time to really appreciate what I have learned.  I know that UDL can complement the LFS strategies that we use in my school district.

Rose, D., & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for learning. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Available online at the Center for Applied Special Technology Web site. Chapter 6. Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/

No comments:

Post a Comment