I began reading Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher (Dana, 2009), before the course began. I was anxious to get started. Even though I had never heard of the terms “action research” or “principal inquiry” before, I was beginning to develop and understanding before the course started.
Today I read through the assignments from each week and I
know that I have learned a lot. I came
into this course armed only with the knowledge of traditional ways of doing
research. My definition of research has
broadened.
As I look back on all of the weekly assignments I realize it is a very
good thing to have all parts of the process documented. I have the greatest respect for what I have
learned. Reading through the assignments
one after another, I really appreciate the depth of information. I want to go back and compile the various
parts of the assignments that make up my research project into one document to
share with my mentors. However, I wonder
if a change in the sequence of tasks might have helped me.
Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher, (Dana, 2009) introduced me to action research, its importance and benefits for the principal inquirer, the school, and its students. The data collection strategies in chapter 3, ways of sharing what I have learned from my research in chapter 5 and the quality indicators in chapter 6 are particularly valuable to me. I am certain I will reference those chapters often.
In Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 steps from analysis to action, Harris, Edmonson, and Combs (2010) provide us with great tools. I really like the 7.1 Action Planning Template (p. 85) and the 8.1 CARE Model: Planning Tool (p. 99). I find both of these very useful. They are clear, concise, and focused. Other information, in the book, that I found enlightening and particularly useful was the Strategies for Sustaining Improvement, (pp. 94-97). Now that I know what these strategies are, I understand ways in which I can use them and I also recognize them from times my current administrators have used them.
Besides learning about principal inquiry and how to conduct an action
research, highlights of the course were the interviews with Dr. Briseno, Dr.
Chargois, and Dr. Lewis. They really
connected research and data to real situations that everyone in education can
relate to. It pleases me to see
education moving in a positive direction, even if it is slowly. It also made me happy to hear these
educational leaders talk about the significance of every child. As a parent of a child who is “different”,
change just can’t happen fast enough, even if it is too late for my son. Right now we exist in a system that allows true
genius to fail because it isn’t able to conform. That is every bit as bad as ignoring students
because they have low intellect. It is
imperative that we find ways to ensure the success of all students. We just need to be careful about the ways that
we define success for each student.
Resources:
Dana,
N. F.,(2009). Leading with passion and
knowledge: The principal as action researcher.
Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press. Kindle
Edition.
Harris,
S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J. (2010). Examining
what we do to improve our schools: 8
steps
from analysis to action. Larchmont, N.Y.: Eye on Education.
No comments:
Post a Comment